I'm reading it - thoroughly enjoying the story, but at the same time seeing more in it than possibly the author meant to reveal. The thing that keeps coming to me is that the Romans were so sure that their nation would never be less than what it was at that time. They were so arrogant. They gave themselves to all manner of self-absorbed and otherwise disturbing entertainment - through to the arenas and gladiators. Now, the truth is that the movie Gladiator is one of my favorites, but that is beside the point (Favorite line from that movie: "What we do here today will echo through eternity").
I'm just saying as I read about the violence that was entertainment for the mob, I'm struck with the realization that violence has a huge place in the market of entertainment in our nation... and I'm struck with the arrogance that Americans have in believing that our nation can continue on this course and remain a strong force in the world. I think there may be something to learn from the Romans and their history. I did try to go read the history, but it got really boring really quickly... So, I'll go back to reading my novel (the true reason you've not had many blog posts from me lately) and try not to read too much into what the author wrote.Does the fact that I added pics to this random little post help you forgive me for my blog slackering (Yes, I just made up a word.)?
Edited to add: Hey, look! I've got a new follower! Welcome, Angela! Your family is beautiful! I've stumbled your way via Mrs. Funny's blog before and by the way, I am totally copying your 4th of July t-shirts next year. Welcome to my little place on the web!

No comments:
Post a Comment