Thursday, May 13, 2010

Now Hiring.

Author's Note: Just to be clear, this really isn't the desperate plea that I'm afraid it is going to sound like... And, I'm not looking to be set up, so don't.

I want a friend.

I know that Mr. Favorite is my closest and best friend, but I really would like to have a friend who is a girl. There are some things that I want to talk about that I know would be great fun to really hash out with another woman. I've found that I don't want just any friend, either. I think people would look at me and think I have lots of friends, and I do, but the relationship goes only so deep or they're really tied up and busy with lots of other stuff. I don't want to feel like I'm a burden or inconvenience. I think I'm also weary from overestimating my friendships.... Here's the truth: Seven years ago, I really wasn't worthy of being a friend. I was super self-absorbed and very selfish. I didn't know I wasn't friend-worthy until I was left out of a birthday party at which all of the girls I considered friends were in attendance. I was 26 or 27 years old and my feelings were hurt like I was in grade school. I sat at my desk and cried. I asked the Lord why I didn't have any friends and he showed me immediately that I had not acted like a friend. So for the last 7 years I have been working and working at being a better friend and a better person all around. I know that I'm a good friend now. I am kind and considerate and I care very deeply... It just seems that there is no friend for me.

Anyway, I read on someone's facebook wall-to-wall message that she had been talking to her mom and said, "I wish I had a friend like me" and I thought to myself that she said what I was thinking. I wish I had a friend like me.

4 comments:

Chelley said...

You are always so honest and candid in your posts. It's refreshing.

Melanie said...

If you only knew how much I understand what you are saying. If I didn't have my sisters I would absolutely lose my mind. Having kids is the biggest proof one needs of how important the right relationships are.

I was friends with you 7 years ago, and I thought you were the bee's knees, but we just don't live close enough to hang out as much as I would like to. If we could hang out every day, I think I would be perfectly happy with that.

So when are you moving to town?

Unknown said...

I wish we could be friends! I feel you, Kelly. It is so hard to be in a new place again and not have any friends. I wish it didn't take so much work sometimes! :)

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say, I feel ya. I've been looking/wanting this same thing for 6 1/2 years...since we moved to Stilly. And it's not that I'm not surrounded by some fantastic people, but I want something deeper. Like you, I feel incredibly blessed that my husband is my best friend. But ya know, he doesn't want his toenails painted and dealve into some conversations like a girl friend would! :)

cam