Monday, January 28, 2013

growth vs. protection

I recently learned something fascinating about cells. Every cell in a person's body is in one of two states. It is either in a state of growth or protection. Emotions can trigger chemical responses which connect to receptors on the cell wall to tell that cell which state is appropriate. When a cell is in a state of protection, it shuts down growth, thereby stunting its own health.

Now translate all that into relationships...

For me, growth is awesome. I love it. I love forward motion. I love learning. But I have noticed that when I am stuck in protection mode in relationships, my growth is stunted. I've heard it said, "What gets your focus gets you" and it is true. If I focus on what is wrong in the relationship or the situation, I am overcome... So I am making a choice, even right this minute, to look for what is honorable and to drag that to the surface. That is what I want to settle my focus on.

And, because I love reading and sharing what I've learned... If you're interested in living in relationships that are based on honoring one another, check out Danny & Sheri Silk's website Loving On Purpose. What I have learned from them has changed my life and made me a better momma to my boys.


No comments: