So, I have this friend, K, who does these huge Easter events for her family and I've always thought I would love to have something similar for my family, but it is just Mom, Dad, Mr. Fave, and now Little One... But, something got in my head that we are what we are and if I want holiday traditions for Little One and the Littler One who is on the way, I just might have to get out my big girl panties and put them on. So, tomorrow, I'm hosting Easter dinner here at my home. I'm excited because I know that it is good for me. I've also invited one of my favorite friends, JL, and love that she's a part of my family, too. So, it isn't the ginormous event that my friend, K, puts on, but in my little world, it is a big deal.
On another note, I had forgotten about it, but while I was pregnant with Little One I had this same sensation I'm experiencing now. I feel like I need to cry - really hard - and I can't. It's bizarre. I feel like those emotions are riding just below the surface, but I can't seem to get them to get out. I can feel that I need that cleansing feeling that comes only from that kind of good cry. Now, this might seem weird to you, but I'll tell you anyway. I used to love to watch the movie Steel Magnolias when I knew I needed to cry. The reason was this: First of all, I felt like I could relate to Sally Field's character, M'Lynn, when after the funeral, she kind of just goes nuts. I can remember some of those same feelings and emotions after losing my brother. Secondly, I love that the movie doesn't leave you in that place of despair. Immediately, Clairee throws Ouiser (sounds like Wheezer) in front M'Lynn and says, "Here, hit this!" It makes me laugh and then the crying ends. I hate when movies just leave you with that sick feeling. I don't think that's healthy... for me, anyway. I don't want to "live" there, I just know I need some kind of catalyst to get through this wall that's keeping me on edge. Any of you have any idea what I'm talking about here?
And if you want to see the clip, here it is: (And, really... what is Darryl Hannah doing in a film?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
When my college girlfriends and I get together, we LOVE to watch Steel Magnolias so we can laugh and cry and laugh and cry... and laugh.
So, how did your dinner go?
I'm laughing completely out loud because I love that part of the movie. I've always loved that movie too. I sometimes have that "need to cry feeling" too... But I watch White Christmas... LOL! I laugh right up until the part they put on the big production for the General and it snows... then I loose it. Funny, but that movie has always gotten to me.
How was dinner? What were the events for the day?
"Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!"
I always crack up when Clairee says they could sell t-shirts saying "I hit Ouiser Boureau!"
Post a Comment