Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Free Books

In June of 2010, I was challenged to read a book a week. Frankly, I didn’t think this was a possible goal, but since then I’ve seen that not only is it possible, it is one of my favorite things I do with my time. After finishing my master’s degree, I didn’t care if I ever read anything again, but since I now read only what I want to read, it is a lot more fun! One might think I’d read only “fluff” stuff, but I’ve found that I’m adding in more difficult pieces as I go. (I just recently finished a work by a Nobel Prize winning physicist that pretty much blew my mind… but I finished it!) As you can imagine, reading a book a week could be a very expensive hobby, but I’ve either borrowed or purchased books on Amazon.com with one exception… and really the reason for this post.

I received Living Life in the Zone A 40-Day Spiritual Gameplan for Men by Kyle Rote and Joe Pettigrew from a website resource (www.booksneeze.com). They send free books to bloggers with the agreement that the reader will review the book and post the review on their blog as well as sites that sell the book. I chose this book because my husband is the defensive coordinator for our Christian school’s football team. I thought he might also enjoy it as a resource for inspiration to our little team. So, this is it. This is my review:

Living Life in the Zone A 40-Day Spiritual Gameplan for Men by Kyle Rote and Joe Pettigrew is a great resource for guys who are interested in sports and want to develop the discipline of daily devotions. The book is set up in daily bits of wisdom. Each day contains sections named in keeping with the sports theme, such as “Coach’s Corner” and “Game Plan”. Coach’s Corner begins each day’s devotional lesson with insight and explanation, helping to define what the focus for the day is. Game Plan is next with selected scriptures to help bring clarity on God’s heart toward that subject. Playmakers follows. This became a favorite for me as each day the “Playmaker” was a sports celebrity and gave examples out of their own personal experience with the issue of the day. The day’s devotion begins to wrap up with the section titled, “Time Out” in which the authors listed a few questions to help lead the reader in application of the day’s lesson. And, lastly there is the Assignment in which the reader is given a tangible “to-do” item.

What I appreciated most about this book is that it takes something that men enjoy and uses that as a vehicle for truth. A man reading through this book is sure to grow, not just spiritually, but also in his relationships. The chapters on family and marriage were especially encouraging to me – that men would be reading and applying the truths presented. Overall, I would recommend the book.

No comments: