Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Arms are Fat, Too.

I knew I had you with that title. I've been thinking about writing a post about this for a while and I would always smile to myself (like the crazy woman I believe we all know) when I thought of that title. You see, I'm not a wispy, petite little thing. I don't mind it so much, I'm really pretty comfortable with who I am, but lately - and maybe it is pregnancy-hormone induced - I would really like to have two, maybe three, tops that are not long sleeved or three-quarter length sleeved (Is that really too much to ask?). The problem is not just that I'm a plus-size... or that I'm pregnant... It is that some mean-spirited person keeps putting out clothes for us that are missing sleeves. I imagine a little whippet of a person sitting at a crafty drawing table just laughing at how ridiculous our poochy arms are going to look puffing out of those shoulder holes. Now, I wear clothes for more than just modesty's sake. I put on clothes every day for the sake of covering the parts of me that are most suitable for a run on a reality tv show we all love to watch while eating ice cream out of the carton while sitting on our couch. The thing is - when they forget the sleeves, they are leaving a part of me uncovered that desperately does not want to share its true state with the world. I'm just saying... I don't think anyone wants that.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I think every inch of you is beautiful and as God intended. However, from one "big armed girl" to another, I know how you feel. Especially in summer when it's too darn hot to wear longer sleeves. I just had to let it go and accept that some people would just have to avert their gazes.

AVONLadyinSC said...

I loved this post, my arms are always leaving me to wonder are they too fat..is some crazy anorexic clothing designer laughing at all of us for having arms bigger than a newborn's? I have found that every piece of clothing lately has little to no room in the arms. Surely my arms are getting so fat that fast.. At 32 I've decided I'll wear what I want to wear and if someone doesn't like it..they don't need to look :) It's not you..it's the clothing designers..and their nonexistent arms ..

Angela said...

Amen amen amen!! I hate that! I'm a "big" girl and this big girl should not wear little sleeves or sleeveless top EVER!!! The sleeves just keep getting smaller and smaller or non existent as my arms seem to get larger. I am liking the idea that my arms are not actually getting larger but that the sleeves just make them appear that way!! I'm over here from your sister's blog. Where are you in Oklahoma? I am in Tulsa.