Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bad News. Bad News.

Here's a little funny for you. Just before Little One was born (read: I was huge!), I wanted to walk out to get my mail. The weather that day was warm, but we'd had some brief showers (June) so the driveway was just slightly wet. At that time in my pregnancy, I was especially conscious of my issues with balance. Anyway, I was just stepping onto the wet driveway when my feet started slipping. Out of my mouth came, "Bad news, bad news." Now I have no idea where that came from, but I have to say that knowing how much I liked to use bad words in the past, I was surprised that there wasn't something a little offensive shooting out of my mouth. But, here's the lesson in it all. Something about this experience made me happy. I grew up knowing the scripture Matthew 12:34 "For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." So, even when my brain didn't have time to think through and choose not to curse, my heart was clean and therefore instead of spewing out some bad word from the list of bad words I used to use all the time, the words coming out of my mouth would not have offended anyone... Though I'm afraid it did make me feel a little Rain Man-ish.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Those would not have been close to the words out of my mouth. My heart must be dirty... You make me laugh, though, and that is like Formula 409 for the soul.